Continuing Professional Development
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is a career long process. The Division actively supports and stresses the importance of high quality, evidence based and interactive learning. The CPD Committee meets 2 times a year and has the mandate to coordinate and govern the organization and development of physician learning activities for the UBC Division of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at GF Strong. The key ongoing activities are:
- *Province Wide Rounds - 4.30 - 5.30 pm at GF Strong - weekly one hour rounds with all physiatrists in the Division attending
- Journal Club - 7.30 pm the first Tuesday of every month - where we critically appraise two articles
- Continuing Quality Improvement Rounds - 12.00 -1.00 pm the third Wednesday of every month at GF Strong - GF Strong staff member presents a quality of care topic relevant to the GF Strong inpatient or outpatient programs
- Research Rounds - Coordinated by Drs. Anton and Krassioukov
- 12.00 - 1.00 pm the last Wednesday of every month at GF Strong - Speaker presents topic relevant to research
- Province Wide Rounds - One session a year is slotted for research topic
- Journal Club - One session a year is slotted for research topic
- Industry sponsored Education Sessions as topics arise - second Wednesday of the month 12.00 -1.00 pm
- Department of Medicine Grand Rounds - Once a year the Division has a representative present a relevant topic
*Province Wide Rounds are accessible by attending in person in the Lecture Theatre at GF Strong Rehab Centre, via a participating Videoconference site or via web browser:
How to join the meeting:
1. Faculty of Medicine videoconference-enabled room: go directly to the scheduled room as you usually would. The room will connect automatically to the meeting as usual.
2. Web Browser: prior to joining your first meeting using a web-browser, test your connection by visiting https://meet.vc.ubc.ca and entering email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> into the conference ID field. If you are unsuccessful with your connection test, please call the Service Desk at 1-877-266-0666 - option #2
PLEASE NOTE: Videoconference and Web Browser Users:
ALL THOSE LOGGING ON MUST MUTE THERE MICROPHONES AT ALL TIMES UNLESS THEY ARE ASKING A QUESTION OR PROVIDING A COMMENT
Once you have completed your test successfully, go to https://meet.vc.ubc.ca and enter the 5-digit conference / bridge ID provided in the meeting invitation. CONFERENCE/BRIDGE ID#: 30229
a. We recommend using Google Chrome whenever possible, for Windows or Mac. Other browsers, including Firefox and Safari for Mac are supported with a plugin. Internet Explorer should not be used. Please note: If you are sharing content, Chrome is the only browser that support this function.
b. For further information on web-browser and audio/video settings set-up and testing, follow these instructions<https://mednet.med.ubc.ca/ServicesAndResources/IT/ConferencingCollaboration/Pages/Web-Browser.aspx>.
3. Audio only: dial the phone number supplied in the event invitation, followed by your five digit conference ID as usual. Ph# 1-844-521-0666
4. Movi desktop (if you are an existing user), enter the five-digit conference / bridge ID as usual. We encourage you to try connecting using the Web Browser for best quality on the New VC Bridge.
If you experience issues joining the meeting, or during the meeting: inform the facilitator and dial in using the audio only option. When you are able, log a ticket by calling the MedIT service desk at 1.877.266.0666 - option #2.
Andrea Townson, M.D., F.R.C.P.C.
Clinical Associate Professor, Director of Continuing Professional Development
UBC Division of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Links to Division of PM&R Schedules
Province Wide Rounds
Continuing Quality Improvement Rounds
Links to Rounds
Ortho Grand Rounds - www.orthosurgery.ubc.ca
Department of Medicine Grand Rounds - www.medicine.ubc.ca
Rheumatology Grand Rounds - www.ubcrheumatology.com
Neuropsychiatry Grand Rounds - www.psychiatry.ubc.ca
Links to National Associations
CAPMR - www.capmr.medical.org
CASM - www.casm-acms.org
Canadian Medical Association - www.cma.ca
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada - www.rcpsc.medical.org
Association of Academic Physiatrists - www.physiatry.org
American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine - www.aanem.org